Identify the Enduring Understandings you want students to acquire.
- Enduring understandings anchor the units
- Enduring understandings refer to the big ideas we want the students to understand after they have forgotten many of the details.
- Enduring understandings are the big ideas that reside at the heart of the discipline.
The Unified Community Action Board (UCAB) of the Tucson Internation Airport Authority Superfund Site selected the “enduring understandings” over several sessions, before work on the curriculum began. Thus the community had a large say in the content of the curriculum. Enduring understandings refer to the big ideas UCAB wants the students to understand after they have forgotten many of the details. They chose the following broad enduring understandings to anchor the lessons.
- Community Leadership & Community History
- Health Issues focusing on Chemicals & Risks as well as the illnesses known to be associated with TCE
- History of the contamination & History of the cleanup
- Law & policy as it relates to the EPA