- UA Collaborators
- Contact Us
The Jerome J. Paulin Electron Microscopy Museum - Images of several vintage electron microscopes (and related equipment) from the University of Georgia.
John H.L. Watson's recollections - Very early transmission electron microscopy in the department of physics, University of Toronto. The author's personal recollections of that time.
Early History and Development of the Scanning Electron Microscope - Author: Bernie C Breton CUED, Cambridge University, Engineering Department, Scientific Imaging Group. See also an article on Charles Oatley, "Pioneer of scanning electron microscopy" on the same server (author: KCA Smith).
3 Million Volt Electron Microscope - This impressive feat of engineering was built in the mid-1990s at Osaka University, Japan. Other large electron microscopes can be seen at:
- National Center for Electron Microscopy (University of California - Berkeley)
Boulder Laboratory for 3-D Electron Microscopy (University of Colorado)
Glossary of Electron Microscopy Terms - From the University of Nebraska (Lincoln).
Transmission Electron Microscopy - An extensive web-based course from the Electron Microscopy Outreach Program at the University of California at San Diego.
TEM Basics - An online textbook, based on Transmission Electron Microscopy - Basics by D.B.Williams and C.B.Carter, for a couse at the University of Liverpool, UK.
Resources from EM vendors
- AM & P Imaging Guidelines for SEM (JEOL USA)
- SEM A To Z (JEOL USA)
- Preparation of Biological Specimens for Electron Microscopy (JEOL USA)
- Introduction to Electron Microscopy - PDF (FEI)
- Glossary of EM terms (FEI)
Other Scanning Electron microscopy information
- Scanning Electron Microscope (Boston Museum of Science)
- Microscopy Teaching & Learning Resources (University of Michigan)
ESEM & Poor Vacuum Scanning Electron Microscope Users Resource Page - This web site brings together resources for users of Environmental/Poor Vacuum/Lousy Vacuum/Nature type SEMs.
Electron Probe technique & Instrumentation - A brief introduction to the analysis of x-rays with an SEM (University of Oregon)
EM preparatory technique web sites
- EM Processing schedules (University of Bristol, UK)
- Methods (Harvard Medical School)
- Techniques in Biological Electron Microscopy (University of Delaware, lecture notes from Dr. Roger C. Wagner)
Immuno-EM, Gold & Silver enhancement
- Immunogold Labeling with BioSite Colloidal Gold Reagents (EMS)
- Applications tips for Nano-gold (Nanoprobes)
Diamond Knife Handling
- See the DDK web site (PDF) or the EMS Diatome site for tips on using these expensive and fragile tools.
Other Vendor's technical information
- Electron Microscopy Science - listing of Technical Data Sheets and Technical Tips & Recommendations
- Microwave processing techniques for EM (Energy Beam Sciences)
- References: microwave polymerization of EM resins (Energy Beam Sciences)
Search the MSA listserv archives - The Microscopy Society of America's email discussion group now has a searchable archive. Use it to find out if your question has already been answered.
Guide to Microscopy and Microanalysis on the Internet - This very extensive site from MicroWorld Resources is (in their own words): "An annotated listing of the best WWW sites."
WWW-Virtual Library in Microscopy - An exhaustive resource that covers all types of microscopy. (University of Oklahoma)
Other Noteworthy sites:
- Petr's Microscopy Resources (Institute of Scientific Instruments ASCR, Brno)