The Tribe is concerned about the high incidence of asthma in their community. They signed the Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with University of Arizona (UA) to perform dust sampling on the reservation as well as a community environmental health assessment and community outreach and education.
Dr. Eduardo Saez
Dr. Clark Lantz
Dr. Marti Lindsey
The purposes of this project are to:
- Assist the Tribe to understand the condition of their outdoor air. There is increasing concern among community members that air pollution from the nearby mine is contributing to increases in asthma.
- Assist Tribal members with understanding asthma and its triggers.
- Provide internships to tribal members who are UA students to aid the Tribe with:
- Collection and analysis of data
- Other technical assistance
- Provide educational materials and assistance with a community environmental health assessment.
- Assist the Tribe to obtain a pilot project grant to help them reduce the incidence of asthma among members.