About Steps 2 STEM (S2S)
The Steps 2 STEM Summer Research Internship is a 5-week research experience for high school students participating in Pima County JTED's Biotechnology or Health Care Foundations programs.
Interns participating in Steps 2 STEM will complete two days of science literacy training and spend the remainder of the program working with professionals in STEM-related fields across the University of Arizona. At the conclusion of the 5-week internship, interns present their experience at the annual Steps 2 STEM Research Exhibit.
Steps 2 STEM is a collaborative project with Nadja Anderson, PhD, Director of the BIOTECH Project at the University of Arizona.
2022 Program Dates
- Must be participating in Pima County JTED's Biotechnology or Health Care Foundations programs
- Must be at least 16 years old by the start of the program
- Completion of MCB 101 (Biotechnology 1) and MCB 102 (Biotechnology 2) by the start of the program is preferred
Steps 2 stem interns will:
- Work in research labs of their interest across the University of Arizona campus
- Develop science literacy skills
- Develop public speaking skills
- Receive 3 units of transferable college credit for the course, PCOL 105A
- Receive University of Arizona Bloodborne Pathogens training certification
- Receive University of Arizona Lab and Chemical Safety training certification