WHY IS IT IMPORTANT?
Grant proposals are an important means of funding for those hoping to increase the body
of knowledge in their current careers of interest. Here students will learn how to create a
research proposal of their own while growing their public speaking skills.
LESSON PLAN/ EXPLANATORY VIDEO
This interactive lesson follows the layout of the popular 2009 TV series Shark tank. Each team will be in charge of creating a grant proposal
that works to alleviate a environmental health concern. At the conclusion of the activity students will give a pitch to the sharks who will then
decide who to support.
ACTIVITY WORKSHEET/POWER POINT PRESENTATION
At the conclusion of this lesson and activity students will
- Have an increased understanding of grant writing
- Gain confidence in completing collaborative work
- Learn how to utilize databases to find research articles
- Gain confidence in science communication skills
- Complete a mini grant proposal of their own